Thursday, January 2, 2020

I will send a book to your public library! Introducing the "Pillars of Wisdom" Library Book Donation Project



I'm pleased to introduce a new concept which I am calling the "Pillars of Wisdom" Library Book Donation Project (see video above).

This program allows anyone to nominate a public library and select one of my titles, and I will donate that book to the nominated public library.

Limit is one donated title per branch, so be the first to nominate your favorite library! Of course, you can always request that the library add other titles through their ordinary acquisition process -- just ask anyone on the staff how to request a title, which usually involves filling out a slip of paper.

To participate in the "Pillars of Wisdom" Library Book Donation Project, simply go to the "Books" section of my main Star Myths of the World website, and scroll down until you see the nomination form.

Why would I start such a program?

Well, for one thing, I support the public library system! I spent a lot of time in my local public library in San Mateo, California when I was growing up. In fact, when we had to write about "my favorite place" in an essay one year, I wrote about the library.

Second, I would like to make information about the incredible connections between the world's ancient myths and the stars and constellations, and the life-changing wisdom this system has to offer us in this very present moment of our lives, available to those who might need it.

And third, I am sure that there are many libraries and librarians who are completely unfamiliar with my work and might never hear of my books otherwise. 

Of course, you can always just walk into any library and ask them to order any of my titles, through my distributor Ingram (which is a very large distributor and capable of distributing the books worldwide). At this time, the book donation program is primarily intended for public libraries in the united states (because shipping books overseas is often very expensive, costing more to ship the book than the actual purchase price of the book), but if you want books added to a library in another country, you can always just ask the staff how to request an addition to the collection.

When you participate in the "Pillars of Wisdom" Library Book Donation Project, you have an opportunity to make one of my books available to many different men and women who will be able to check it out and read it, for many years into the future. I hope you will take advantage of this program while I'm able to make it available.

Thank you for supporting my work, and for supporting public libraries.

I wish you all good things in the New Year!