Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Vasishtha and Arundhati (and a purple flash)



Above is a new video I've just published, entitled "Vasishtha and Arundhati (and a purple flash)."

It discusses a recent phenomenon witnessed while stargazing by both myself and a close friend I have known since childhood.

The video also includes some discussion of the stars we were looking at when we saw the unexplained "flash" or "on-and-off star."

I hope you will enjoy the video. Unexplained phenomena in the sky are not really my primary focus of research, of course, and I imagine that there are many possible explanations for what we saw. I decided to make a video about it partly so that I could remember the date, time, and location of the observation. 

It was a wonderful night of stargazing, coinciding approximately with the period of new moon, and we also saw some wildlife that night as well.

I hope that, if it is at all possible, you too can go out regularly to observe the glorious night sky and all its splendor . . . and connection to humanity's ancient wisdom in the myths.